Opinion: Screencast-o-matic video capture
Apart from it's name (Screencast-o-matic) I really like this piece of video screen capture software (so thank you to Amir Minai for telling me about it). Even though (or especially as) it is a free bit of software it has some very nice features:
- you choose capture the screen either through a downloaded app or through a link on the site (i.e. no download needed)
- When the cursor is moving you get a large yellow circle surrounding it and it clear where it is. Which is great for demonstrating software in a video.
- When you left click the mouse you get a brief blue blob on the screen next to the cursor to show a click has occurred. Again, great when demonstrating software.
- you get up to 15 minutes per recording.
- several videos formats are possible.
- it is easy to use.
- last and certainly not least it is free.
On the free version you get Screencast-O-Matic.com across the bottom of the screen, but in my view that is easy to live with and doesn't really distract from the content.
As a complementary tool to use alongside software such as Panopto this is a very nice tool.
The software can be found at: http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/
I would be interested in receiving comments from others on other similar pieces of software.
All views are the author's and therefore do not necessarily reflected the views of any organisations the author is employed by or is affiliated with.